< comics/x >
DIRTBAG #9
($2.00 from Dave Kiersh / 568 Grandview Ave. / Ridgewood, NY / 11385 USA. Web:
scottjacoby.freewebtools.com. Also available from
USS Catastrophe)
Review by Rick Bradford
Much of Dave Kiersh's work makes a particular connection with my psyche. It takes me back to a time I usually think I wouldn't want to revisit: high school. All of the angst, love, lust and general unfulfillment is here but Kiersh's vision is one that manages to be sweet (and sometimes sad) without over-romanticizing the memories and like-memories. Being a teenager is tough but there's a lot of beauty in hardship and discovery and
Dirtbag proves it. Kiersh, of course, is not a teenager and that only makes his work more interesting; I envy the connection he has with his younger self. Reading
Dirtbag makes me want to do high school all over again. I'm not saying that's a good thing, but such is the power of its impact. Recommended.
[ Link to this review ]