< arts >
TUB LEGS #3
($5.60 US, $6.00 CAN/MEX, $8.00 WORLD ppd from Bonkers Handmade Originals / PO Box 442099 / Lawrence, KS / 66044 USA / Attn: Tub Legs. Web:
http://www.bonkersfiber.com)
Review by Damian Michaels
Issue 3 is my favorite issue to date. Not just because of the wonderful art featured on page 29 (hmm, I wonder who that could be?), but mostly for an article I have been hoping to find in any art/photography magazine on double exposures. Traci details techniques in her article "Polaroid Double Exposures" used specifically with the Spectra Polaroid Camera... and there are plenty of reproduced examples to whet the appetite of anyone with an interest in odd and experimental photography. I am a big fan of double exposure photos, pinhole photography, anamorphic photos, blurry and just plain odd experimental stuff. I have a big vintage photo collection of double exposures which I hope to exhibit in a museum environment down the track. I have been dying to find a camera and article which shows me how to easily do double exposures and this is it! I will be bidding on one of these cameras straight away! I also enjoyed Traci's article "Art Box a Go-Go" too, on how to create art boxes. The examples shown in the article were really beautiful to say the least and made me want to give it a shot myself. "The Practice of Zen Collage" was excellent too, an article by Bobbi Studstill.
I absolutely
love Tublegs, mostly for the unusual features on experimental photography not really shown in other artzines. I wish the zines were bigger, actually, packed with more photo-related stuff, but ol' Bunkers is quick to the trick and shows just enough to keep us hanging on for the next issue with mouths watering in anticipation!
I am not sure of the availabilty of all issues, but issue 1 is a must if they are still available! The article on Nail Polish Photos makes it worth more than the money spent. Every photo-related article in each issue is a gem, truly!
[ Link to this review ]