< comics/x >
THE CUTE MANIFESTO
by James Kochalka
($3.00, if any are left, from James Kochalka / PO Box 8321 / Burlington, VT / 05402 USA. Web:
americanelf.com)
Review by Rick Bradford
This, as the title suggests, is the Cute Manifesto. In comics form (similar to his diary strip) Kochalka extolls the virtues of cuteness and makes a case for the idea that it's here to stay. What's more, he makes his point with passages like this: "Nothing is more beautiful than the cute because the cute is untouched by any foul thought or deed." I like his equation of cuteness with beauty. Kochalka sees a lot of beauty in the world and his definition is broad, as it should be. In fact, it's one of the things I've always enjoyed about his work. Whether this manifesto is to be taken completely seriously or not, I hope he never loses sight of that purity. I don't know that he has any of these left at this point but drop him a line and see. If he doesn't, then bug him about doing more mini-comics!
[ Link to this review ]