< comics/x >
HAPPY TOWN #1 Special Super-Mini Edition
by Justin Madson
(Just Mad Books / 708 Birch St. / Baraboo, WI / 53913 USA. Web:
www.justmadbooks.com)
Review by Rick Bradford
Happy Town has been around for a little while, of course. This is a low-frills, easy-to-give-away version of the first issue to promote the series (check out the site for the rest). Although I've read the stand-alone
The Waiting Sun, this is the first issue of the regular series I've experienced and, seeing as how it's #1, I have to say it seems that Justin's little universe here was fully-formed from the beginning. The reader's introduced to what amounts to a lot of characters for 24 pages of story and usually right in the middle of whatever they're doing, but it all seems to work. It's clearly a relationship-driven story but there are unusual elements like people mysteriously floating away and other extraordinary-yet-seemingly-normal aspects. I enjoyed this and it's got me wanting to know what happens next, so he must be doing something right. Check it out.
[ Link to this review ]