< comics/x >
WURD READER #3
by Lance Simmons
($3.00 from
David Youngblood / 1514 SE Belmont St. / Portland, OR / 97214 USA or Lance Simmons / PO Box 59744 / Homewood, AL / 35259 USA. Web:
tinycreature.com)
Review by Rick Bradford
How do you classify stuff like this? I don't want to be hung up on terminology but it does have its benefits as a point of reference. Simmons' work here should appeal if your sense of aesthetics leans toward the Fort Thunder/Tom Herpich/lyrical mystery side of things, although as I mentioned, I can't find a category to neatly stick it into. I'm sure that's a good thing.
Under a handprinted cover you'll find: drawings of curious creatures in random situations, some which appear to be hasty doodles (though not without charm), and a few sequential vignettes, the most engaging and beautiful being a bit about music and its effect on these odd beings of Simmons' world. It could be interpreted as music creating a monster but who knows what the message is (if there is one at all). This (untitled) piece would make a fine mini-comic on its own.
Check out Simmons' website for a real taste of what he does.
[ Link to this review ]