< comics/x >
PEANUTBUTTER & JEREMY'S BEST BOOK EVER!
by James Kochalka
($14.95,
Alternative Comics,
James Kochalka)
Review by Rick Bradford
Even though my partner has been buying the individual issues, I'd read very little of
Peanutbutter & Jeremy (only last year's Free Comic Book Day book) before I dove into this collection. Now, of course, I regret having waited (even though I think the overall experience probably benefits from reading the stories one after the other). If you've enjoyed previous works by James Kochalka for their sentimentality or cuteness factor then this is sure to please. There's no need to pigeonhole it as cute fluff, however. This volume, in my opinion, is a very funny book for kids of all ages. I know I'll be passing these stories on to my nephew.
"What's it about?" you ask? Well, there's this cat (Peanutbutter) who believes he works in an office (his owner's house) and has quite the fondness for wearing hats. Then there's this crow (Jeremy, of course) who gets the cat into trouble but mostly wants to steal his beautiful hats.
I can't quite put my finger on it but the feel of these stories is familiar – and I mean beyond Kochalka's other work. There's a wonderful fantasy element, a lot of funny jokes and – I hesitate to mention it but – cat lovers will get an extra kick out of it. The author is clearly one of those people who wonders what's going on in his cat's head.
I recommend this book for people of all ages but you should at least pick up a copy for a kid in your life. Personally, I think this is Kochalka's best book of the last couple of years.
[ Link to this review ]