< comics/x >
HAW! A Tribute to Sir Ivan Brunetti
by various
(Matthew Seiden)
Review by Rick Bradford
What a great idea this is. I love this kind of thing, especially when it actually makes it to print.
Haw! is a collection of convention drawings (SPX 2003 & APE 2004, I believe) based on Ivan Brunetti gag cartoons from his Fantagraphics collection of the same name. A few of the contributions are almost copies of the originals, but most are drawn in the contributing artist's own style (and a few of those are complete reinterpretations). Also, the quality of the drawings varies from page to page but such is the nature of work done amidst a busy convention scene. My favorites are from Kevin Huizenga, Scott Morse (who improves upon the original), Brian Ralph, Ron Regé and Johnny Ryan, but there's plenty more fun by Lauren Weinstein, Souther Salazar, Tom Devlin, Ben Catmull, Jef Czekaj, Sam Henderson and still many more. It's certainly a unique project and I recommend it wholeheartedly. I wish more people would publish their themed sketchbooks and such.
However, by running this review I've been slightly misleading. Unfortunately, my understanding is that this publication isn't actually for sale. [
Update: You can't get it in print form, but you
can read it online
here. Go!]
[ Link to this review ]