< comics/x >
various minis
by Brian Horst
(Brian Horst / Festival of Failure / 1916 Pike Pl. #12-301 / Seattle, WA / 98101-1056 USA.
E-mail. Now available in the
Poopsheet Shop)
Review by Rick Bradford
The first Brian Horst minis I received were acquired through a third party but I enjoyed them so much that I tracked the man down to get more. Brian is a mini-comic machine lately and has at least seven different titles available at the moment, all of which are fun. They're a mix of comics, doodles and crewcuts that's really appealing to me. He's got a nice retro style made somewhat manic by the quickdraw look of most of the artwork, which is a good thing as I see it. In fact, each mini is like a tiny sketchbook (I'd love to see a large collection). My guess is if you enjoy work by, say, Sam Henderson, Tim Kelly or Jay Ward, then you'll dig this.
ZGMNF!
by Brian Horst
Review by Mark Campos
Brian, back in the day, was the most underappreciated cartoonist in Seattle. Though every punk crash house was furnished with copies of his
Eelskin Comics, he never caught the break he could have used. So he quit comics for a while, moved to Athens, GA, became a sound engineer and made some music.
But you can't stop comics once they take over your brain. Brian did the cover of the
FLUKE 2004 book, and now here's a new mini of spot cartoons, showing off his wacky humor and brilliant linework. Send him a buck or two and get this, and let's see if we can't get him to do some longer work.
[ Link to this review ]