< comics/x >
BAKA GETA
by Onsmith and Ryoko Oguchi
($1.00 from
Onsmith, www.onsmithcomics.com)
Review by Rick Bradford
Onsmith and Ryoko took a trip to Japan (Onsmith's first time) and decided to make a mini-comic about it. It's part travelogue and part tribute to Japanese culture but
all fun. There are drawings of popular cartoon and advertising characters, a dream, a zinger from Doraemon and more fun stuff. If you think you'd prefer the cuter side of Onsmith, this is it. Myself, I love when people produce comics and zines in reaction to travel experiences.
Baka Geta is a nice vicarious read. And although I was already a fan of Onsmith's work, I also really dig the drawings by Ryoko Oguchi, which are quite nice.
Be sure to check out the website. Onsmith's got lots of great mini-comics available, including
The Rouge Knuckle Gang, an assortment of portraits of a rough 'n tumble gang of thugs. Remember the Sharks in
West Side Story? Well, it's nothing like that. Anyway, all of his minis are recommended by yours truly.
[ Link to this review ]