< comics/x >
MARVEL MANIA
by various
(
www.ukseen.com/nice)
Review by Rick Bradford
This collection of pin-ups (and a couple of strips) of Marvel Comics characters is about half irreverent roast and half glowing tribute, both approaches that I'm keen on. It's pretty heavy on the fannish side, with the only particularly off-color gag being a smashing drawing of "Fin Wang Foom" (the artist, unfortunately, is only credited as "Jacking Kirby" – oh, the sacrilege!). I suppose a lot of the appeal for me is nostalgic (for
Not Brand Echh and old fanzines full of fan art) but I still enjoy "unauthorized" treatment of established icons. Whether the intent is to build up or destroy, I dig 'em all (though I have to admit the latter approach warms my heart the most).
Anyhow, as fan art goes, this is a nice collection. Under a cover by D'Israeli you'll find Woodrow Phoenix (the Inhumans), Ilya (She-Hulk), Craig Conlon (the Thing as a Woman), Will Kane (a sharp early-Avengers portrait), Hercules (MC Benji Grimm), Paul Harrison-Davies (Ghost Rider), Stephen Lowther (Millie the Model!) and many others. Not a bad line-up at all. Check it out!
[ Link to this review ]