< zines >
PALETTE: THE PEOPLE ISSUE
by various
(Digest, 25 pages; no price listed, from Palette / 701 College Rd. / Lebanon, IL / 62254 USA)
Review by Christine Douville
This was my first time reading this Illinois litzine, and I was pleasantly surprised. In this issue, all the contributors focused on gender and stereotypes. I noted that there were three times more men than women who contributed to this specific issue...
Poems, essays, etc. include:
• "Ten Similarities between Fat and Thin People"
• "Being Female is Tough"
• "Ten Similarities Between Christians and Jews"
• "Hard for Women?"
• "Only Opinionated"
• "Hard facts about Women"
• Etc.
My favorite piece was Laxman Pandey's "They Think I Am, but I'm Not", a short poem/essay about religious stereotypes.
It was a bit redundant at times – too many contributors expressed the same opinions, and I would also have liked to read about the challenges of being a man in today's world. Surely they, too, are feeling pressure from society, the media, and the opposite sex. But appart from that,
Palette has a great concept and is an interesting read – I'd be curious to check out past and future issues!
[ Link to this review ]