< comics/x >
BRAIN FOOD #10
by Mike Toft
($1.00 from Mike Toft / PO Box 7246 / Minneapolis, MN / 55407.
E-mail)
Review by Mark Campos
I'm as prone to snap generalizations as the next guy. I paged through this, saw the pictures of Falwell and Oprah with jokey captions, saw the religion cartoons, saw the mohawk punk character, and thought, Another punkety-rock cartoonist.
Mike's been at this a while, though, and he's evolved into a cartoonist worth checking. He cocks snoots at bulimic supermodels and Hummer drivers and the Bush cabinet, sure, and still puts up groaners like "Weapons of Gas Destruction" (a can of beans); then turns around and whangs out a page as unique as "What If Dogs Knew They Were Going To Die?": "Why should I mark my territory when it all eventually turns to dust?" "Why Do Men Hunt" and "Dog Gone Wild" are funny as well.
Mike's art has got some levels to it – good shading, nice angles and backgrounds. Don't write him off, as I almost did – seek out his work.
[ Link to this review ]