< comics/x >
SAP #5
by Jeff Wilson
($2.00 from Jeff Wilson / PO Box 13233 / St. Louis, MO / 63157 USA.
E-mail. Also available from
USS Catastrophe)
Review by Mark Campos
Mutant worms are hiving around under the earth's crust, causing dangerous tremors. Meanwhile, multi-eyed aliens harvest a new hallucinogen called Sap, which has all the drug punks fighting in the streets.
This Phildickian saga is on its fifth issue; this go-round was published with a generous assist from the Ted May foundation. For your two dollars, it's a nice weight of cartoonwork: eyepleasing art*, strongly defined characters, and an engaging central idea. And funny – a veteran toper rates his Sap trip: "That was better than the best high I've ever had! .. I'm talkin' pot, acid, 'shrooms, beer, speed .. auto-erotic asphyxiation .. "
*I almost hate to point out that the art, though well-turned, is rather heavily influenced by Peter Bagge and Roger Langridge. But when Jeff burnishes his influences into a unique style, he'll be a world beater.
[ Link to this review ]