< comics/x >
SUPER #1
by Erik Weems
(Erik Weems / 509 Rossmore / Richmond, VA / 23225 USA. Web:
www.eeweems.com)
Review by Rick Bradford
If you've been around the mini-comics scene for a while (okay, a long while) you may remember Erik Weems' comics from the '80s when he published
2 Headed Dog and showed up in all sorts of other venues. I always liked Erik's work and it had been years since I'd seen it, so it was a pleasant surprise when this showed up in my mailbox.
As the title and cover suggest,
Super's focus is on superheroes but it's more irreverent than admiring (although there's clearly a history here). My favorite strips are "Alligator-Man", which is something of an allegory for a certain sleazy type of celebrity, and the simply titled "Superhero", a snapshot-style look at pathetic super-celebs (I suppose one could interpret it as a mirror image of many comics fans as well). Anyhow, this is fun stuff and Erik's brushwork is always pleasing to my eye. I recommend checking out his website for more examples.
[ Link to this review ]