Google
WWW Poopsheet:Reviews
 
Poopsheet:Reviews
 

 
We've moved! www.poopsheetfoundation.com
 
 
 

Navigate Poopsheet

Home
Shop
E-mail

SNAIL MAIL
Rick Bradford
PO Box 343
Bedford, TX
76095 USA
 
 
Wednesday, March 23, 2005
 
< comics/x >

Mistakes and Regrets

MISTAKES AND REGRETS
By L. O'Moore

(£1.00 from L. O'Moore / 145 Clydesdale Rd. / Byker NE6 2EQ / ENGLAND. Web: www.lomoore.com)

Reviewed by Evan Keeling

I promise that this review won't be about how I really wanted to read about sea monsters (but I really did), but I digress. Mistakes and Regrets was overall an enjoyable read. I like L. O'Moore's drawing style a lot. She has a nice simplistic cartoon-like style but still manages quite realistic poses for her characters. She has a great approach to light and dark and negative space. The structure of the story was interesting; it told the same story twice from the perspective of both of the people in the relationship, utilizing the technique of one story going halfway then you flip the book around and read the other story. L. O'Moore also managed a nice juxtaposition between the thought processes of the two characters and how often they were thinking almost the same thing. What I didn't like about the comic was that it suffered from the clichéd problem of "slice of life" comics: Why should I read about someone else's crappy life when I can just go about living my crappy life. I was not given much reason to like or worry about the outcome of either character's story. Both characters spent most of the story fretting about bad decisions that they've made particularly in regards to one another, but I found myself not caring if they resolved any of these problems. At the end of the comic it felt unresolved, maybe this is just my own taste but I usually feel that if I'm going to listen to a character whine I want them to come to a realization about themselves or learn nothing and fail. While I know that life doesn't have nice wrapped up endings I found that Mistakes and Regrets left me wanting just a little more story. In conclusion I think this was a very solid first attempt at a new kind of story for L. O'Moore and I look forward to seeing more, but I really did want to see sea monsters.


[ Link to this review ]


Comments:
But, Evan, you can see sea monsters whenever you want! All you have to do is snap your fingers three times and repeat, "I believe in sea monsters... I believe in sea monsters... I believe in see monsters...
 
Post a Comment

 

 
   
  This page is powered by Blogger, the easy way to update your web site.
Archives
01/18/2004 - 01/25/2004 01/25/2004 - 02/01/2004 02/01/2004 - 02/08/2004 02/08/2004 - 02/15/2004 02/15/2004 - 02/22/2004 02/22/2004 - 02/29/2004 02/29/2004 - 03/07/2004 03/07/2004 - 03/14/2004 03/14/2004 - 03/21/2004 03/21/2004 - 03/28/2004 03/28/2004 - 04/04/2004 04/04/2004 - 04/11/2004 04/11/2004 - 04/18/2004 04/18/2004 - 04/25/2004 04/25/2004 - 05/02/2004 05/02/2004 - 05/09/2004 05/09/2004 - 05/16/2004 05/16/2004 - 05/23/2004 05/23/2004 - 05/30/2004 05/30/2004 - 06/06/2004 06/06/2004 - 06/13/2004 06/13/2004 - 06/20/2004 06/20/2004 - 06/27/2004 06/27/2004 - 07/04/2004 07/04/2004 - 07/11/2004 07/11/2004 - 07/18/2004 07/18/2004 - 07/25/2004 07/25/2004 - 08/01/2004 08/01/2004 - 08/08/2004 08/08/2004 - 08/15/2004 08/15/2004 - 08/22/2004 08/22/2004 - 08/29/2004 08/29/2004 - 09/05/2004 09/05/2004 - 09/12/2004 09/12/2004 - 09/19/2004 09/19/2004 - 09/26/2004 09/26/2004 - 10/03/2004 10/03/2004 - 10/10/2004 10/10/2004 - 10/17/2004 10/31/2004 - 11/07/2004 11/07/2004 - 11/14/2004 11/14/2004 - 11/21/2004 11/21/2004 - 11/28/2004 11/28/2004 - 12/05/2004 12/05/2004 - 12/12/2004 12/12/2004 - 12/19/2004 12/19/2004 - 12/26/2004 01/02/2005 - 01/09/2005 01/30/2005 - 02/06/2005 02/06/2005 - 02/13/2005 02/13/2005 - 02/20/2005 02/20/2005 - 02/27/2005 02/27/2005 - 03/06/2005 03/06/2005 - 03/13/2005 03/13/2005 - 03/20/2005 03/20/2005 - 03/27/2005 03/27/2005 - 04/03/2005 04/03/2005 - 04/10/2005 04/10/2005 - 04/17/2005 04/17/2005 - 04/24/2005 04/24/2005 - 05/01/2005 05/01/2005 - 05/08/2005 05/08/2005 - 05/15/2005 05/15/2005 - 05/22/2005 05/22/2005 - 05/29/2005 05/29/2005 - 06/05/2005 06/05/2005 - 06/12/2005 06/12/2005 - 06/19/2005 06/19/2005 - 06/26/2005 06/26/2005 - 07/03/2005 07/03/2005 - 07/10/2005 07/10/2005 - 07/17/2005
 

Home