< comics/x >
PEEPS ET BEANSby Ben T. Steckler
(10pp mini with fold-out centerfold, $2.00 from Ben T. Steckler,
www.geocities.com/bent4toons)
Reviewed by Alan RankinOnce again, Ben Steckler wins points right off the bat for simple originality. I mean, you’re not going to pick this up and say, “Ho hum, another story about open warfare between marshmallow ‘Peeps’ and paramilitary jelly beans!” To top it all off, the whole thing is in French, although you need not be bilingual to follow the story, any more than you need Spanish to understand “Bumblebee Man” on
The Simpsons.
Beyond the audaciousness of his approach, I have to say that the twist ending certainly caught me by surprise. Far be it from me to reveal the twist; I’ll just say that you’ll never look at Easter candy (or your microwave) the same way again. “BenT” has certainly earned his nickname with this one.
[ Link to this review ]