Google
WWW Poopsheet:Reviews
 
Poopsheet:Reviews
 

 
We've moved! www.poopsheetfoundation.com
 
 
 

Navigate Poopsheet

Home
Shop
E-mail

SNAIL MAIL
Rick Bradford
PO Box 343
Bedford, TX
76095 USA
 
 
Tuesday, May 17, 2005
 
< comics/x >

Shuck the Sulfurstar

SHUCK THE SULFURSTAR #1
by Rick Smith

($2.95, www.sulfurstar.com)

Reviewed by Matt Dembicki

I'd heard of Rick Smith's Shuck before but never had a chance to read it. Since Smith was relaunching the title with a new issue No. 1, I thought it'd be a good place to start and get acquainted with the book. Smith has a nice, cartoony style, but I had problems following the story. First, all the characters speak in a dialect, which makes it difficult to read through the book. Smith writes in the letters page that he did this to distinguish Shuck's world from our own. I think he could have accomplished that without using a confusing "lankwich." Second, the story is a bit fragmented. I simply didn't have a clear picture of what was happening. I know there's a play where an angel battles Shuck (a devil or demon), and at the end of it Shuck takes a break from theater and heads to a town called Thicket. It also happens that a little girl and her mom who watched the play are also headed to Thicket to see the girl's grandfather for an undisclosed reason. Shuck and the girl and her mom cross paths near the town. That's about all I was able to ascertain. The rest seemed esoteric. I'm sure Shuck fans get it, but it wasn't a good issue for a new reader to jump in. I also wanted to note that the back cover has an installment from Smith's online dream comic "Sawlogs", which I really enjoyed. I used to read it, but drifted away. I'm glad I was reminded that it's there!


[ Link to this review ]


Comments:
Matt, you don't give yourself enough credit... your summary of the story is spot on - the only thing you missed was that the issue was a consolidated version of the Book of Revelation, Chapter 20, Verses 1 - 3 (that's what those numbers around Shuck's neck on the cover mean). That's what takes place in the play. And when the play is done, so is the Devil's career... in this story, that's Shuck. I guess the word 'retirement' didn't appear enough for you... I'll try harder next time ;). Anyhow, this issue sets Shuck up to enter Thicket just as the other main characters do - paving the way for more hellish trouble - just as Shuck intends on settling down after a long spell at causing turmoil, etc. Stick around, it'll be great.
 
i am lovin this blog...


http://netWallpapers.com
http://tradealoan.com


Great..
 
Post a Comment

 

 
   
  This page is powered by Blogger, the easy way to update your web site.
Archives
01/18/2004 - 01/25/2004 01/25/2004 - 02/01/2004 02/01/2004 - 02/08/2004 02/08/2004 - 02/15/2004 02/15/2004 - 02/22/2004 02/22/2004 - 02/29/2004 02/29/2004 - 03/07/2004 03/07/2004 - 03/14/2004 03/14/2004 - 03/21/2004 03/21/2004 - 03/28/2004 03/28/2004 - 04/04/2004 04/04/2004 - 04/11/2004 04/11/2004 - 04/18/2004 04/18/2004 - 04/25/2004 04/25/2004 - 05/02/2004 05/02/2004 - 05/09/2004 05/09/2004 - 05/16/2004 05/16/2004 - 05/23/2004 05/23/2004 - 05/30/2004 05/30/2004 - 06/06/2004 06/06/2004 - 06/13/2004 06/13/2004 - 06/20/2004 06/20/2004 - 06/27/2004 06/27/2004 - 07/04/2004 07/04/2004 - 07/11/2004 07/11/2004 - 07/18/2004 07/18/2004 - 07/25/2004 07/25/2004 - 08/01/2004 08/01/2004 - 08/08/2004 08/08/2004 - 08/15/2004 08/15/2004 - 08/22/2004 08/22/2004 - 08/29/2004 08/29/2004 - 09/05/2004 09/05/2004 - 09/12/2004 09/12/2004 - 09/19/2004 09/19/2004 - 09/26/2004 09/26/2004 - 10/03/2004 10/03/2004 - 10/10/2004 10/10/2004 - 10/17/2004 10/31/2004 - 11/07/2004 11/07/2004 - 11/14/2004 11/14/2004 - 11/21/2004 11/21/2004 - 11/28/2004 11/28/2004 - 12/05/2004 12/05/2004 - 12/12/2004 12/12/2004 - 12/19/2004 12/19/2004 - 12/26/2004 01/02/2005 - 01/09/2005 01/30/2005 - 02/06/2005 02/06/2005 - 02/13/2005 02/13/2005 - 02/20/2005 02/20/2005 - 02/27/2005 02/27/2005 - 03/06/2005 03/06/2005 - 03/13/2005 03/13/2005 - 03/20/2005 03/20/2005 - 03/27/2005 03/27/2005 - 04/03/2005 04/03/2005 - 04/10/2005 04/10/2005 - 04/17/2005 04/17/2005 - 04/24/2005 04/24/2005 - 05/01/2005 05/01/2005 - 05/08/2005 05/08/2005 - 05/15/2005 05/15/2005 - 05/22/2005 05/22/2005 - 05/29/2005 05/29/2005 - 06/05/2005 06/05/2005 - 06/12/2005 06/12/2005 - 06/19/2005 06/19/2005 - 06/26/2005 06/26/2005 - 07/03/2005 07/03/2005 - 07/10/2005 07/10/2005 - 07/17/2005
 

Home